September 22, 2015

Fork damping adjuster

The Beta Xtrainer comes with very simple Ollé suspension.
The fork have the spring on the right side and the damping happened on the left side but there is only rebound adjuster on the top of the fork.
In order to adjust it, the rider need to use 4mm allen key. Somehow the tool kit key is too long and won't fit between the fork cup and the handlebar, so either you need to cut down the key or you need to remove the handlebar.
That way or another, is not really comfortable...

I was looking around, trying to find a ready solution. I could find some expensive low profile allen keys but didn't like them.

So like I did with the OS front Freeride rotor - If I cannot find it, I will make it myself.

This time I used plastic 3D printing service and some free software to make the simple design needed.

Once the pieces will be ready I'll report back if they stay put and if the plastic is good enough for this purpose. Stay tune! :)



1st run failed due mostly to incorrect tolerances which lead to smaller dimension of the hex part.
In the mean time I jumped into the 3D design world, using Autodesk Fusion 360 (Free for real!!!) and got some better design. Should be in my hand soon for testing.


4 comments:

  1. Too cool. I want to do this for my xtrainer. Will you sell me one??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't work out.
      I tried to fabricate it with 3D printing but sadly they could deliver the precision I asked.

      Delete
  2. Im diggin my X trainer 2016. Put rekluse in it scotts steering stabilzer and helps a lot. Still trying to find the right settings on my olle front forks. As you said, is the ONLY adjustment offered is the rebound on the top of the left fork? Thats it? No other way to adjust spring, compression etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can change the oil to 15W, that will slow the damping, but yes, both direction.
      The Olle fork is just too simple and doesn't offer adjustability we use to see in modern off road forks.

      Delete