September 30, 2015

Power! More is better!


Last week, riding some extreme trails in Couger Buttes in the SoCal high desert, I was not too happy.
The power was just not enough for what I wanted. I wanted more off idle so it will help me to lift the front to pivot turns or to challenge rocks with zero approach. I want some more in the middle so I can lift the front over obstacles easier. I want more revs so I can use more of each gear and to avoid going flat in long hills. Basically I want more everywhere!

For many years I have been riding KTM 300 which I thought have the best engine in the business. Last July I had the chance to try 300RR and my jaws dropped! Even better than the already perfect KTM engine? I was sure it was impossible!

So buying the Xtrainer which basically has a tuned down RR300 engine would give even better low end, at least that was my expectation. This is why I was disappointed a bit from this "nummy" engine.


1st thing to do was to wind out the power valve adjuster. That helped some in the middle as the bike picks up RPM's faster. Still sleepy low end.

2nd I removed the power valve spacer which effects the overall volume of the pipe.
Good results, the bottom end woke up some! All you need for this small mod is 4 M5 screws 10mm shorter and 1 minute of your time.



But I wanted more! :)

I borrowed from a friend an FMF Gnarly pipe to try. The good news was that it bolts right up. Perfect clearance everywhere from the frame, cooling houses and shock.
The great news was that it was just it! The bike picked up horses everywhere from bottom end to very nice over rev. It's not RR yet but it's just perfect for this bike and actually I winded back the power valve adjuster almost a complete turn to calm it down a bit.
Roll on drag race from 2nd gear against 250RR and they are bike to bike up to par without any problems.

One important word for anyone that want to use this pipe and does not have experience with 300's - Buy a slow throttle like the G2 Dirt tamer to get better control and secondly, wind the power valve adjuster at least 2 turn in from flush.




 Last but not least, I want to thank Dave from Get Dirty Beta dealership in Morongo Valley CA. Great guy, great rider and excellent dealership!
He can fix you with any Beta item you can think of and said to be cheaper than direct purchase from Beta USA site.

And the results? Not bad I think! :)





20 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the wrote up! Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So there is a pipe guard for the FMF Gnarly? I see one in the pictures. Are you going to try the Fatty?
    And what jetting changes were involved? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously there is...Not going to try anything else as Im very happy as it is now.
      Same jetting, didn't touch nothing.

      Delete
  4. Hey Yoram- which G2 Throttle tamer did you order? I do not see a BETA throttle listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no Beta specific throttle as all 2S European bikes use the same Domino setup. The one I have now went off KTM XCW300.
      Im using the one with interchangeable cams so I can switch back and forth depend on the riding but mostly the #400 cam (the slowest)

      Delete
  5. Hey Yoram! Thank you for your great testing!
    Can you please answer these 3 questions:
    Do you think that using the FMF gnarly pipe but keeping the original XT short end exhaust will have the same effect like with the FMF Q silencer?

    Can you confirm that winding out the power valve adjuster(full power) means turning it counterclockwise?

    Are you still using the G2 throttle taimer after the mod of the spring in the carb?

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what do you think about this pipe?
    http://www.beta.boano.com/cgi-bin/boanoimg/201585172151.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have no opinion as I never tried it :)

      Delete
  7. Hi, are you still running the pipe, and still running on stock jetting? I am thinking of a Gnarly for my Xtrainer as well..

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is exactly what I was hoping for. Are you still happy with performance now? Do you still want a bit more everywhere compared to your old KTM? I ask, because I like performance, but love the size of this bike too. If I can get it close to a 300RR I would be very happy, and sound as though I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still happy. Big improvement over stock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did my x the other day and agree its awesome. More power everywhere. Thanks Yoram for posting review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi can i put exhaust for beta rr300?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb hints & help have you done any work to your suspension? I am looking at changing to 15 wt in front forks. & Later on fitting a auto clutch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi- when you put the RR pipe on the xtrainer did you need to re-jett? Was it necessary with the PV spacer adjustment?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yoram, what elevation are you mostly riding at? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What garley pipe did you use?. i cant find a beta one

    ReplyDelete